My Red Slaw is a really simple and easy recipe which can be put together in a few minutes. As the name suggests, this is a traditional coleslaw recipe except that all the vegetables used are red (or purple or orange!). It goes very well with cold tarts or quiches such as my Butternut Squash Tart with Chilli and Sage , Herb Tartlets or Crab and prawn tart with chilli, lime and coriander.
I first thought of making Red Slaw as I liked the idea of a bowl full of bright bold colours – red, purple, orange! The combination of colours means that the slaw looks very attractive and is great as part of a cold buffet or at a lunch party. It also seems to appeal to children as it looks pretty – and the mayonnaise turns pink – and the apple adds a bit of natural sweetness. I have found it a good way to get them to eat a wider range of vegetables. Although the mayonnaise may not be that healthy – I tend to use shop-bought, reduced fat mayonnaise – there is not too much of it in this recipe and it really does bring together the taste of the different vegetables.
Also, it is really beneficial from a healthy-eating point of view to eat food that is raw (high in fibre and vitamins and minerals are retained) and to make sure your diet includes foods with a range of natural colours (“eating the rainbow”) as different colours typically denote the presence of different vitamins and minerals. So it is healthy as well as pretty!
This colourful Red Slaw, made with red onion, red cabbage, carrot and radish, looks pretty and is a great way to eat lots of healthy vegetables.
- 1 red onion
- Juice of half a lemon
- Half a red cabbage
- 5 large carrots
- 5 radishes
- 1 apple
- 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- Slice your red onion thinly. Place the slices in a ceramic dish together with the juice of half a lemon. Leave for at least half an hour. The lemon juice will make the raw onion taste milder but still retain its fresh crunchiness!
- Prepare the other vegetables. Thinly slice the red cabbage. Grate the carrots. Cut the radishes into thin disks.
- Put the prepared vegetables, together with the marinated onion, into a large bowl.
- Cut the apple into small pieces, omitting the core, and add it to the bowl of vegetables.
- Add the mayonnaise to the bowl and stir to lightly cover the other ingredients.
Keywords: slaw, coleslaw, red cabbage, onion, carrot, red slaw
Love this recipe? You may like these too!