Red Cabbage Coleslaw
Red Cabbage Coleslaw is a really simple and easy recipe which can be put together in a few minutes. Coleslaw is a salad made with raw vegetables, usually including cabbage, mixed with mayonnaise.
I make all kinds of coleslaw but I particularly like this recipe which uses red cabbage, carrot, radish and apple as you get a bowl full of bright bold colours. The combination of colours means that the coleslaw looks very attractive. It is great as part of a cold buffet or at a lunch party. It also seems to appeal to children as it looks pretty – and the mayonnaise turns pink – and the apple adds a bit of natural sweetness. I have found it a good way to get them to eat a wider range of vegetables. Although the mayonnaise may not be that healthy there is not too much of it in this recipe and it really does bring together the taste of the different vegetables. I tend to use shop-bought, reduced fat mayonnaise for this recipe.
- Easy Shortbread Recipe
- Cranberry Gin
- Beetroot Soup with Coconut
- Leek and Potato Soup with Fresh Chives
- Blackberry Gin
It is really beneficial from a healthy-eating point of view to eat food that is raw. It is high in fibre and vitamins and minerals are retained. Different colours typically denote the presence of different vitamins and minerals in food. Therefore, a really easy way to eat more healthily is to eat foods with a range of natural colours (“eating the rainbow”).
Other easy salads
I love salads and eat them all the year around – not just in summer. If you like this Red Cabbage Coleslaw recipe, you might also like some of my other salad recipes.
- Aubergine Salad with Soy and Honey – A great, easy oriental-style salad with a fantastic hit of umami flavour which can be made in 15 minutes.
- Thai Cucumber Salad – Fresh, crunchy and tasty with brilliant Thai flavours which takes 5 minutes.
- Raw Beetroot and Carrot Salad – This is another quick and easy raw salad which has a zesty citrus dressing.
- Roasted Pepper Salad – This simple vegan salad can be served either warm or at room temperature.
- Spiced Carrot Salad with Honey and Lemon – This salad takes a bit longer to make as the carrots are roasted. It is worth it as the lemon, honey and North African spices work magic on this versatile vegetable.
- Roasted Beetroot Salad with Yogurt and Tahini – Again, this salad takes a bit longer to make but it is worth it for the intense flavour of the roasted beetroot.
Red Cabbage ColeslawPrint
This colourful Red Cabbage Coleslaw, made with red onion, red cabbage, carrot, radish and apple, looks pretty and is a great way to eat lots of healthy vegetables.
- 1 red onion
- Juice of half a lemon
- Half a red cabbage
- 5 large carrots
- 5 radishes
- 1 apple
- 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- Slice your red onion thinly. Place the slices in a ceramic dish together with the juice of half a lemon. Leave for at least half an hour. The lemon juice will make the raw onion taste milder but still retain its fresh crunchiness!
- Prepare the other vegetables. Thinly slice the red cabbage. Grate the carrots. Cut the radishes into thin disks.
- Put the prepared vegetables, together with the marinated onion, into a large bowl.
- Cut the apple into small pieces, omitting the core, and add it to the bowl of vegetables.
- Add the mayonnaise to the bowl and stir to lightly cover the other ingredients.
Keywords: slaw, coleslaw, red cabbage, onion, carrot, red slaw
Loved this recipe? Checkout the Recipe Index.