Honey Cream Tea with Lavender Scones
This Honey Cream Tea, made with Lavender Scones, is a variation on the traditional English Cream Tea which uses plain or fruited scones sandwiched with jam and cream.
I first tasted a Honey Cream Tea many years ago when visiting Quince Honey Farm in Devon. Understandably, given the primary product of the farm, they served scones sandwiched with cream and honey, rather than the traditional jam. When I decided to write a recipe for Lavender Scones, it occurred to me that a honey and cream filling would go very well with their floral flavour – and so it proved! If you have lavender-scented honey, so much the better.Print
This Honey Cream Tea is made with lavender-flavoured scones sandwiched together with honey and whipped cream. It is a variation on a traditional English Cream Tea, which combines plain or fruited scones with jam and cream.
- 350 g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 85 g butter
- 25 g caster sugar
- 4 fresh lavender buds (or 2 tablespoons of culinary lavender)
- 2 eggs
- 100 ml milk
- A small pot of good quality (ideally locally-sourced) honey
- 300 ml double cream (whipped)
- Set your oven to 200 C/400 F/Gas Mark 6.
- Put the flour and baking powder in a large bowl. Cut the butter into small cubes and add it to the flour. Rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar to the flour and butter mixture.
- Detach the small flowers from the lavender stalks and add them to the mixture.
- Lightly beat the eggs and add them and the milk to the mixture.
- Use your hands to very gently combine the mixture so that it forms a soft dough.
- Press the dough out onto a floured surface. It needs to be about 1cm thick. Use a round cutter to cut out dough shapes and place them on a greased baking sheet.
- Put the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 15 minutes until the scones have risen and are a light golden colour.
- Transfer the scones to a cooling rack.
- When they are cool, split them in half and sandwich together with honey and whipped cream.
Keywords: lavender, scones, lavender scones, honey cream tea
Love this recipe? You may like these too!