Easy and healthy Roasted Beetroot Salad with Yogurt and Tahini
This easy and healthy Roasted Beetroot Salad combines the earthy sweetness of beetroot with creamy Greek yogurt and the nuttiness of tahini. It also looks very attractive as the beetroot juices colour the yogurt a pretty pink and this with the dark red beetroot chunks. I recommend this recipe if you are trying to convert a confirmed beetroot-hater. Often those who claim to dislike this delicious and healthy vegetable have only eaten it when it is chopped into tiny chunks and doused in strong vinegar. If you are beetroot lover, have a look at our recipes for lovely sweet-sour Beetroot Tart and Beetroot Soup with Coconut.
Roasting the beetroots concentrates their flavour and, although it takes around 40 minutes, once they are cooked it takes only a few minutes to assemble the salad. If it is more convenient, you can roast the beetroots the day before you want to eat the salad. I am a big fan of roasting vegetables as I think it improves the flavour and retains the nutrients. Roasting is also a very easy way to cook as you just put them in the oven and leave them to it.
Tahini, which is a paste made from roasted sesame seeds, complements the flavour of the beetroot. It is used in hummus so, even it you have never used it in cooking, you will be familiar with its flavour. It is full of minerals and is healthy as well as very tasty!
When you are entertaining, I think offering a range of different types of salads, to which guests can help themselves, is a great option. Everyone can choose what they like (and come back for more!). This Roasted Beetroot Salad is fantastic in a mix which might include Broad Bean Salad and Roasted Pepper Salad plus a crisp green salad.Print
This Roasted Beetroot Salad combines the sweetness of roasted beetroot with creamy Greek yogurt and nutty tahini. Once the beetroot have been roasted, it can be assembled in minutes.
- 4 small raw beetroot
- 300 ml Greek yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 clove of garlic (crushed)
- Set your oven to 180 C, 350 F or Gas Mark 4.
- Wash your beetroot and loosely wrap each one in kitchen foil. Place the wrapped beetroot on an oven tray. Roast the beetroot in the oven for around 40 minutes until soft. Remove the beetroot from the oven and allow to cool. When they are cool enough to handle, remove the skins using a sharp knife.
- Chop the cooked beetroot into chunks of approximately 1 cm.
- Put the Greek yogurt, tahini and crushed garlic clove into a large bowl and mix well. Add salt to taste.
- Add the chopped beetroot chunks to the mixture in the bowl and stir to ensure that it is coated with the yogurt dressing.
You can use full-fat Greek yogurt or one of the varieties that is lower fat. I generally use the 5% fat version rather than the 0% fat version.
This salad can be served either warm or at room temperature. It can be made in advance and keeps well in the fridge for two or three days.
Keywords: beetroot, yogurt, tahini, salad