Soft, fried aubergine is enhanced by the umami of soy sauce and the heat of dried chilli and sweetened with a touch of honey in this fifteen minute recipe.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 large aubergines
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- Chop the aubergines into cubes of approximately 1 cm.
- Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan.
- Add the aubergine cubes, crushed garlic, honey, soy sauce and chilli flakes to the pan.
- Fry for about 10 minutes. By this point, the aubergine should be soft, dark brown and glossy and all the liquid will have been absorbed.
- This dish can be eaten hot or at room temperature.
This recipe is vegetarian but , if agave syrup is substituted for the honey, can be vegan.
Keywords: aubergine, vegetarian, soy sauce