This Pumpkin Soup with Sweetcorn and Thyme is thick, savoury and warming – the culinary equivalent of a hug!
- 2 onions
- 1 small pumpkin or squash or 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 large potato
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 sweetcorn cobs
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 2 pints of vegetable stock
- 1 large sprig of fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Peel and roughly chop the onions.
- Peel and roughly chop the pumpkin, squash or sweet potatoes.
- Peel and roughly chop the potato.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan and add the chopped vegetables. Cook gently over a low heat for around 10 minutes until the vegetables are starting to caramelise.
- Using a sharp knife, remove the corn kernels from the cobs.
- Add the corn kernels and the crushed garlic cloves to the pan together with the paprika.
- Add the vegetable stock to the pan and bring to simmering point. Cook gently for 20 minutes.
- Separate the fresh thyme leaves from their stalk and add them to the soup.
- Blend the soup in a food processor or by using a hand blender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Keywords: pumpkin, sweetcorn, soup