Easy, home-made Smoked Salmon Pate
This easy Smoked Salmon Pate recipe tastes so much nicer than the ready-made, shop-bought equivalent. It combines the delicious flavour of smoked salmon with one of its traditional partners, cream cheese (think bagels and lox). The addition of lemon juice is crucial as this cuts through the richness of the salmon and the cheese.
If you buy slices of smoked salmon, it can get expensive. However, smoked salmon trimmings, which are available in many supermarkets, are perfect for this recipe. They have all the flavour of sliced smoked salmon but are much cheaper and, as an added benefit for this recipe, already in small pieces!
Smoked Salmon Pate is very quick and easy to make – you just process the ingredients in a blender and it is done! You can blend it as much as you like but I prefer not to make it absolutely smooth as I like to find a few pieces of smoked salmon when I spread out my pate.
In my opinion, anything involving smoked salmon smacks of luxury. And this pate also looks pretty with its pale pink colour. This makes it perfect for a celebration or romantic meal. Who’s to know it is so easy to make?Print
This home-made Smoked Salmon Pate takes a matter of minutes to make and tastes so good that you will never want to use the ready-made variety again!
- 180 g cream cheese (such as Philadelphia, either full-fat or reduced fat)
- 100 g smoked salmon trimmings
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons of double cream (optional)
- Pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs, such as dill or chives, to decorate (optional)
- Put the cream cheese, smoked salmon trimmings, lemon juice and double cream (if using) into a blender and process until smooth.
- Add pepper to taste. You don’t need any salt as the smoked salmon is salty.
- Put the pate in a bowl and decorate with fresh herbs if you wish. Dill or chives will go very well with the flavour of the pate.
You can choose to make a higher fat version of this pate by adding double cream and using full-fat cream cheese or make a lower fat version by omitting the double cream and using reduced fat cream cheese.
Keywords: smoked salmon, pate