Home-made Cheese Biscuits with Chilli
These Cheese Biscuits with Chilli are a heated-up version of a basic cheese biscuit recipe. They are fantastic as a snack with drinks as they are deliciously cheesy and pack a big load of chilli heat. I think they go particularly well with a beer!
I have been making the basic biscuits for years and if you are not a lover of spicy food, you can leave out the chilli. If you are serving them with wine, the non-spicy version might be better. Or you could do a batch and put chilli in one half.
I have a taste for savoury, salty snacks, which I try to moderate generally and indulge occasionally. One of the good things about making your own snacks is that you are in control of the salt levels. Adding strong flavour elements, such as chilli, also helps with this as it means that the snacks have a powerful hit of flavour without being overly salty.
Whether you are looking for a plate of snacks ready for a box-set binge evening or for a drinks party, these Cheese Biscuits with Chilli are fantastic. They will keep in a sealed tin for several days once baked. Even better, you can keep the dough in the refridgerator for a week and slice and cook the biscuits when you want to eat them. You can also freeze the dough for several months. I always prepare a large batch of cheese biscuit dough in the run-up to Christmas and refridgerate or freeze which means that I can have freshly baked home-made biscuits within minutes.
If you are in a snacking mood, you might also like to try my recipes for Spiced Nuts and Marinated Feta. Both are really easy and are great at a party or if you are just watching television with a cold beer!
Whether you make these Cheese Biscuits with or without chilli, they are a fantastic snack with drinks or for a box-set binge. The dough can be kept in the fridge or freezer and baked whenever you feel like fresh home-made biscuits.
- 100 g butter (at room temperature)
- 100 g strong cheese (eg Cheddar)
- 100 g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- Put all the ingredients into a food processor and blend until combined to form a dough.
- Roll the dough into a sausage shape, wrap in cling film and place in the fridge to chill for an hour.
- Set your oven to 180 degrees C or Gas Mark 4.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and cut across to form disks approximately 1 cm thick.
- Place the disks on a greased baking tray and bake in the oven for 10 minutes until golden.
- Remove from the oven and place the biscuits on a baking rack to cool.
- If you don’t like chilli, you can leave it out. The plain, cheese biscuits are delicious too!
- The baked biscuits will keep for several days in an air-tight tin.
- The dough can be kept in the fridge for a week. So that you can cut it into discs and bake for home-made biscuits within minutes.
- The dough can also be frozen for several months.
Keywords: biscuits, cookies, savoury biscuits, chilli, cheese biscuits