This traditional Bread and Butter Pudding is given a shot of additional flavour from zesty rhubarb jam.
- 4 thin slices of bread – crusty white is best!
- Rhubarb jam (See my easy recipe for home-made Rhubarb and Vanilla Jam)
- 1 tablespoon of caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 300 ml milk
- A few drops of vanilla essence
- Set your oven to 180 C, 350 F or Gas Mark 4.
- Butter your oven-proof dish.
- Butter your bread slices and cut them into strips of about 3 cm wide.
- Place a layer of the bread strips in your oven-proof dish. Sprinkle with a little sugar and add a few spoonfuls of Rhubarb Jam. Repeat until you have used up all the bread strips.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and then add the milk and the vanilla essence. Pour the mixture into the oven-proof dish.
- Leave for around 15 minutes so that the bread absorbs some of the milky mixture.
- Place the oven-proof dish in the oven and bake for 35 minutes until the custard is set and the top is golden and crispy.
You can use any other strong flavoured jam as an alternative to rhubarb. I have made this recipe with gooseberry and blackcurrant jam too.
Keywords: rhubarb bread and butter pudding