This traditional Bread and Butter Pudding is given a shot of additional flavour from zesty rhubarb jam.
- 75 g (3 oz) butter
- 4 thin slices of bread – crusty white is best!
- About 4 tablespoons of Rhubarb jam
- 2 eggs
- 400 ml (3/4 pint) milk
- A few drops of vanilla essence
- A few flaked almonds to decorate
- Set your oven to 180 C, 350 F or Gas Mark 4.
- Butter an oven-proof dish.
- Spread you bread slices with butter and then with jam. Then cut them into strips of about 3 cm wide.
- Place a layer of the bread strips in your oven-proof dish. Repeat until you have used up all the bread strips.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and then add the milk and the vanilla essence. Pour the mixture into the oven-proof dish.
- Leave for around 15 minutes so that the bread absorbs some of the milky mixture.
- Place the oven-proof dish in the oven and bake for 35 minutes until the custard is set and the top is golden and crispy.
- If you wish to decorate with flaked almonds, sprinkle them over the top of the pudding after 30 minutes so that they toast but do not burn.
You can use any other strong flavoured jam as an alternative to rhubarb. I have made this recipe with gooseberry and blackcurrant jam too.
Keywords: rhubarb bread and butter pudding