Rhubarb Bread and Butter Pudding
This recipe for Rhubarb Bread and Butter Pudding is very easy to make and is a great starting point for someone who is new at dessert-making. Traditional Bread and Butter Pudding consists, as the name suggests, of slices of buttered bread set in a simple baked custard.
This recipe combines the lovely creamy custard with golden crispy bread and tangy sweet-sour rhubarb. It is an easy way of providing the classic combination of rhubarb and custard. It is really easy to make – no messing about making pastry or sponge cakes for pudding – and should please those who like a traditional pudding and those who like something a bit different.
- Easy Shortbread Recipe
- Cranberry Gin
- Beetroot Soup with Coconut
- Leek and Potato Soup with Fresh Chives
- Blackberry Gin
What you need to know about Rhubarb Bread and Butter Pudding
- It is extremely easy and can be assembled with the absolute minimum of skill. Just butter bread, add jam and put it in a dish with some eggs and milk. Cook for half an hour in the over and that is it.
- You can use home-made Rhubarb Jam. I have an easy recipe for this if you want to try it. However, you can make it with shop-bought jam and it will still taste good. You can also make it with other jam flavours. Any flavour would be good but I would recommend using one with a stronger, tart flavour such as gooseberry or maybe blackcurrant.
- You can eat this pudding either hot from the oven or at room temperature. If you have some left over, you can cover it with clingfilm and keep it in the fridge for up to three days.
In praise of traditional puddings
I love making traditional old-fashioned puddings which can be made quickly from ingredients that are available in most households (bread, milk, eggs). These puddings fell out of fashion, partly due to the focus on French cordon bleu style cooking in the 1970s. However, they had a renaissance in the 1980s when they began to appear on restaurant menus.
In addition to this recipe for Rhubarb Bread and Butter Pudding, I also have one for Marmalade Bread and Butter Pudding which is another twist on a traditional Bread and Butter Pudding recipe. That recipe is also known as Osborne Pudding as it was allegedly a favourite of Queen Victoria. It has a great combination of bread-filled custard and orange and slightly bitter marmalade.
If you are looking for another kind of easy pudding recipe, then crumbles (or crisps as they are known in North America) are another good option. You could try a traditional Apple Crumble or maybe a Rhubarb Crumble?
Other rhubarb recipes
I love rhubarb and have lots of other rhubarb recipes. It makes a great jam, compote or fruit curd. It is also great in a crumble. Rhubarb is also good in many home-baking recipes such as Rhubarb Crumble Cake, Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake , Rhubarb Victoria Sandwich Cake and Rhubarb Roulade. It also makes a good basis for cold desserts such as Rhubarb Curd and Rose Ice Cream or Rhubarb Fool. You can also use it to make Rhubarb Cordial and a pretty good Rhubarb Gin liqueur!
Rhubarb Bread and Butter Pudding recipePrint
Bread and Butter Pudding with Rhubarb Jam
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: for 6 people 1x
- Category: Pudding
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: English
This traditional Bread and Butter Pudding is given a shot of additional flavour from zesty rhubarb jam.
- 75 g (3 oz) butter
- 4 thin slices of bread – crusty white is best!
- About 4 tablespoons of Rhubarb jam
- 2 eggs
- 400 ml (3/4 pint) milk
- A few drops of vanilla essence
- A few flaked almonds to decorate
- Set your oven to 180 C, 350 F or Gas Mark 4.
- Butter an oven-proof dish.
- Spread you bread slices with butter and then with jam. Then cut them into strips of about 3 cm wide.
- Place a layer of the bread strips in your oven-proof dish. Repeat until you have used up all the bread strips.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and then add the milk and the vanilla essence. Pour the mixture into the oven-proof dish.
- Leave for around 15 minutes so that the bread absorbs some of the milky mixture.
- Place the oven-proof dish in the oven and bake for 35 minutes until the custard is set and the top is golden and crispy.
- If you wish to decorate with flaked almonds, sprinkle them over the top of the pudding after 30 minutes so that they toast but do not burn.
You can use any other strong flavoured jam as an alternative to rhubarb. I have made this recipe with gooseberry and blackcurrant jam too.
Keywords: rhubarb bread and butter pudding