Rhubarb and Vanilla Victoria Sandwich cake
This is a simple Victoria Sandwich cake, flavoured with vanilla, and filled with a mixture of Rhubarb Curd and whipped cream. It is very easy to make and can be used as a pudding or eaten at tea-time or with morning coffee. The tartness of the rhubarb goes very well with the buttery cake and the smooth, rich taste of vanilla. I also have another recipe for a very different kind of rhubarb cake, Rhubarb Upside Down Cake, which uses fresh rhubarb.
Recent posts on tastebotanical
Other rhubarb recipes
I love rhubarb and have lots of other rhubarb recipes in addition to . It makes a great jam, compote or fruit curd. It is also great in a crumble. Rhubarb is also good in many home-baking recipes such as Rhubarb Crumble Cake, Rhubarb Bread and Butter Pudding, Rhubarb Upside Down Cake and Rhubarb Roulade. It also makes a good basis for cold desserts such as Rhubarb Curd and Rose Ice Cream or Rhubarb Fool. You can also use it to make Rhubarb Cordial and a pretty good Rhubarb Gin liqueur!
Loved this recipe? Checkout the Recipe Index.
Other baking recipes
Other easy cake recipes
I am a big cheerleader for home-made cakes. My cakes tend to be simple and use seasonal ingredients. They do not require advanced baking skills or complicated decoration. My goal is to make cakes that taste delicious and look attractive but which anyone can make. One of the reasons I love home-baking is that I get to experiment with different flavours and flavour combinations. Here are some of my favourites.
- Apple Cake
- Blood Orange Cake
- Cherry and Almond Cake
- Chocolate Brownies
- Coconut Cake
- Earl Grey Cake with Orange
- Elderflower and lemon cupcakes
- Ginger and Pear Cake
- Gingerbread Loaf Cake
- Latte Cake with Salted Caramel
- Lavender Cake
- Lemon Drizzle Cake
- Lemon Sponge Cake with Edible Flowers
- Lilac and Vanilla Victoria Sandwich Cake with Lilac Honey and Mascarpone Frosting
- Lime Drizzle Cake with Coconut
- Red Velvet Cake
- Rhubarb and Vanilla Victoria Sandwich Cake
- Rhubarb Crumble Cake
- Rhubarb Upside Down Cake
- Rose and Strawberry Cream Cake
- Rosemary Cake
- Rum Banana Bread
- St Clement’s Cake (Orange and Lemon Cake)
- Thyme Cake
- White Currant Cake
Recipe for Rhubarb and Vanilla Victoria Sandwich cakePrint
Creamy with a zip of fruity flavour, this rhubarb cake is a winner at tea-time!
For the cake:
- 225 g butter (softened)
- 225 g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 4 tablespoons of milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- Icing sugar (to dust the top of the finished cake)
For the filling:
- Around 200 g Rhubarb Curd
- Around 200 g double cream (whipped to soft peaks)
- Set your oven to 180 degrees centigrade or Gas Mark 4.
- Cream the butter with the caster sugar. (I usually soften the butter for about 30 seconds in the microwave first as it makes it much easier!)
- Gradually add the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture. If it looks as if it is going to curdle, add some of the self-raising flour.
- Once the eggs have been incorporated add the rest of the self-raising flour.
- Add the milk and the vanilla extract. It really makes a difference if you use a good quality vanilla extract – as opposed to vanilla essence – as this will give it a much more intense flavour.
- Grease your Victoria Sandwich tin or container and then add the cake mixture.
- Bake your cake in the oven for around 30 minutes. It is done when it is golden brown, springy to the touch and has shrunk away from the edge of the tin. You can test it by inserting a skewer in the middle of the cake – if it comes out cleanly with no mixture attached, your cake is done.
- Allow your cake to cool on a rack before removing it from the tin or container.
- Once the cake is cool, slice it in half horizontally (I find a bread knife is good for doing this).
- Spread the Rhubarb Curd on one half of the cake followed by the whipped cream and then put the other half of the cake on top.
- Dust the cake with icing sugar by shaking a small amount through a sieve onto the top.
- You will need to keep the cake in the fridge if not using immediately as it contains cream and Rhubarb Curd. If stored in the fridge, remove it around half an hour before eating to allow it to come up to room temperature.
Keywords: rhubarb cake