Rhubarb Fool – a delicious, creamy dessert using fresh rhubarb
Rhubarb Fool is a traditional English dessert, with the earliest recipes dating to the 17th century, which combines sweetened, cooked rhubarb with custard or whipped cream. This recipe is made slightly healthier by using a mixture of whipped cream and Greek yogurt. These are combined with Rhubarb Compote which is a simple sauce made from roasting fresh rhubarb with sugar.
I love the taste of rhubarb and believe that that it goes very well with anything creamy or milk-based. You just have to think of Rhubarb and Custard or Rhubarb Crumble with Cream. In this Rhubarb Fool recipe, the sharp, sweet-sour flavour of rhubarb is moderated by the cream and yogurt. This make is a perfect dish for those who are unsure about rhubarb and may even convert them. It is no coincidence that Gooseberry Fool, which uses another astringent fruit, is also a popular Fool recipe.
Other Rhubarb recipes
In addition to this recipe for Rhubarb Fool, and the Rhubarb Compote which is used to make it, many of my other rhubarb recipes are included in this blog. There are recipes for both Rhubarb Curd and Rhubarb and Vanilla Jam. If you are a rhubarb lover – or at least “rhubarb curious” – you might also like to have a look at Rhubarb Roulade, Rhubarb Curd and Rose Ice Cream, Rhubarb Upside Down Cake, Rhubarb Victoria Sandwich Cake and Rhubarb Bread and Butter Pudding. If you want to save a bit of money and like flavoured gin, you should definitely try making Rhubarb Gin and use it in some Rhubarb Gin Cocktails!Print
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: Serves four
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: English
Rhubarb Fool is an easy and delicious, creamy dessert using roasted rhubarb, cream and Greek yogurt.
- 300 ml double cream
- 500 ml Greek yoghurt
- 400 ml of Rhubarb Compote
- Put the double cream in a bowl and whip until it forms soft peaks.
- Then fold the Greek yoghurt into the whipped cream.
- Next add 200 ml of the Rhubarb Compote to the cream and yoghurt mixture. and gently fold it in so that it is thoroughly mixed.
- I serve the Rhubarb Fool with the remaining 200 ml of Rhubarb Compote in a jug on the table. This means people can add as much as they want themselves and then swirl it through their Fool.
- The timing given for this recipe includes making the Rhubarb Compote. If you have already made the Compote, it takes less than five minutes to make Rhubarb Fool.
- You can use this Rhubarb Fool mixture as the base for a great Rhubarb Ice-Cream. Just put the mixture into your ice-cream maker and follow your user instructions.
Keywords: rhubarb, fool, rhubarb dessert, recipe