Easy Coconut Cake recipe
This easy Coconut Cake recipe produces a wonderful moist cake. It has lots of layers of coconut flavour as it includes desiccated coconut, coconut cream and coconut flavouring. It is topped with coconut-flavoured buttercream and decorated with a sprinkle of desiccated coconut.
I regularly make a Coconut and Lime Drizzle cake but wanted to make a cake which had a full-on coconut flavour. This cake is somehow softer, both in flavour and in texture. I think it is perfect if you are looking to do a bit of comfort eating. I also think it looks very attractive, in an understated, white-on-white way.
What you need to know about making my easy Coconut Cake
- First off, it is very quick and easy. After all, the clue is in the title. It is a simple loaf cake which means that it is cooked in 45 minutes. However, you do need to wait until the cake is completely cool before you add the icing. Therefore, you may want to make it a few hours ahead. It is fine to make it the day before you want to eat it. Once cooled, wrap it in foil and then ice it the next day.
- It uses various elements to create the full-0n celebration of coconut. There is desiccated coconut in the cake mix but I also use coconut flavouring. Many supermarkets produce this and it is worth seeking out a good quality one. I think it adds that extra hit of coconut. I also use coconut cream, rather than ordinary milk, to loosen up the cake mix. Again, this adds another layer of flavour. Coconut cream is used again in the buttercream icing.
- You can keep the iced cake for a two or three days, wrapped in foil, but like all home-made sponge cakes it is best within a day or so. You can freeze it, wrapped in foil and then placed in a freezer bag, for up to three months.
- I think of this as a typical cake to eat with your morning coffee or afternoon tea. However, I have used it as a dessert, with a scoop of coconut ice-cream for a full-on coconut experience!
Other loaf cakes
I love making loaf cakes. They are quick, easy, versatile and do not require any extra icing or decoration (unless you want to do it). If you want a basic everyday cake, look no further than a loaf cake. They are also a great base for experimenting with flavours which is a big reason for me to love them! Here are some of my favourites.
- Blood Orange Cake
- Cherry and Almond Cake
- Ginger and Pear Cake
- Gingerbread Loaf Cake
- Earl Grey Cake
- Latte Cake with Salted Caramel
- Lavender Cake
- Lemon Drizzle Cake
- Lime Drizzle Cake with Coconut
- Rhubarb Crumble Cake
- Rosemary Cake
- Rum Banana Bread
- Thyme Cake
Easy Coconut Cake recipePrint
This quick and easy Coconut Loaf Cake, topped with coconut butter cream, is perfect with morning coffee or afternoon tea.
For the cake
- 125 g (5 oz) butter
- 175 g (7 oz) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 150 g (6 oz) self-raising flour
- 25 g (1 oz) desiccated coconut
- 80 ml (3 fl oz) coconut cream
- 2 teaspoons coconut flavouring
For the icing
- 200 g (8 oz) icing sugar
- 80 ml (3 fl oz) coconut cream
- 100 g (4 oz) butter
- 1 teaspoon coconut flavouring
- A little desiccated coconut to decorate
- Set your oven to 180 degrees centigrade, 350 degrees fahrenheit or Gas Mark 4.
- Grease a 450 g (1 lb) loaf tin and line the bottom with baking parchment.
- Cream the butter with the sugar. (I usually soften the butter for about 30 seconds in the microwave first as it makes it much easier)
- Gradually add the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture. If it looks as if it is going to curdle, add some of the self-raising flour.
- Once the eggs have been incorporated add the rest of the self-raising flour.
- Add the desiccated coconut, coconut cream and coconut flavouring. Mix to combine.
- Spoon the cake mixture into your prepared loaf tin.
- Put the tin in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place on a baking rack to cool.
- Prepare the icing by combining the icing sugar, coconut cream, butter and coconut flavouring in a food processor, or by beating by hand, until you have smooth paste.
- When the cake is completely cool. Remove from the cake tin and spread the icing on top of it. You can sprinkle a little desiccated coconut on top to decorate.
Keywords: coconut, loaf cake, cake, easy