Lemon Pavlova, what’s not to like? I love lemon and I love meringue, so for me this is pretty much the perfect dessert. Even better, it is really easy to make! One of the great things about pavlovas is that while they have that show-stopping, celebratory vibe, they are actually extremely simple to produce even for inexperienced cooks. Another of my favourites is Rose and Raspberry Pavlova which is a twist on a more traditional pavlova recipe.
This recipe for Lemon Pavlova first came into my family through my Aunt Pat who led a rather glamorous life as a literary agent in the 1950s and 1960s. Part of her not-terribly-onerous job involved taking trips from London to New York in order to meet authors and publishers. Needless to say, food and copious amounts of alcohol figured prominently during these visits. This Lemon Pavlova was made for Aunt Pat by an admirer who lived in New York. Despite the Pavlova, the relationship didn’t last but the recipe became a firm family favourite. I always think of it as a kind of deconstructed Lemon Meringue Pie but without the pie! I think it is brilliant as just having the lemon and the meringue makes it a much lighter dessert.
Lovely Lemon Curd…
The lemon flavour in this Pavlova is provided by Lemon Curd. If you are pushed for time, you can, if you must, use shop-bought Lemon Curd. However, the Lemon Pavlova will truly be so much better if you use home-made Lemon Curd. It only takes ten minutes to make and my Easy Lemon Curd Recipe is fool-proof. Once you’ve made it, it keeps in the fridge for three weeks and can be used in lots of different ways – as a spread, as a cake filling and, of course, as a dessert ingredient. My recipe for easy Lemon Curd Ice Cream is also a great way to use Lemon Curd – home-made or shop bought!
And lovely lemon recipes..
I love the flavour of lemon in both sweet and savoury recipes. If you also love its citrus zing, you might like my sweet recipes for Lemon Drizzle Cake and Lemon Shortbread or my savoury recipe for Spiced Carrots with Honey and Lemon.Print
This easy Lemon Pavlova recipe is the perfect combination of whipped cream, zesty Lemon Curd and crisp meringue.
- 4 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 225 caster sugar
- teaspoon cornflour
- teaspoon lemon juice
- 300 ml Lemon Curd (you can use ready-made Curd but home-made is better)
- 300 ml double cream
- Set your oven to 140 C/275 F/Gas Mark 1.
- Whisk the egg whites with salt until they form stiff peaks.
- Add two tablespoons of sugar and continue to whisk until combined and the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Fold the rest of the sugar, the cornflour and the lemon juice into the whisked egg whites.
- Cover a baking sheet with baking parchment or silicon paper.
- Spoon the egg white mixture onto the baking sheet to form a large circle or oval.
- Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour until the exterior of the meringue is hard to the touch.
- Allow to cool.
- When ready to serve, spoon the Lemon Curd over the top of the meringue base.
- Then whisk the double cream until it forms soft peaks and then spread it on top of the Lemon Curd
I have a foolproof recipe for Lemon Curd, which is very quick and easy to make and tastes so much better than the shop-bought version.
Keywords: lemon pavlova, lemon meringue, lemon desserts