This easy Latte Cake has a mild coffee flavour and is topped with a salted caramel drizzle. Inspired by Salted Caramel Lattes in coffee shops everywhere!
For the cake:
- 75 ml milk or cream
- 3 teaspoons instant coffee
- 175 g butter
- 175 g light brown muscavado sugar
- 3 eggs
- 175 g self-raising flour
For the icing
- 125 g butter
- 125 g icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 2 teaspoons hot water
For the caramel:
- 125 g butter
- 250 g light brown muscavado sugar
- 125 g double cream
- Salt to taste
- Set your oven to 180 degrees centigrade or Gas Mark 4.
- Grease a 450 g loaf tin and line the bottom with baking parchment.
- Warm the milk or cream to scalding point. This is when you gently heat it and then stop heating just before it boils. Add the 3 teaspoons of instant coffee and stir to combine. Allow to cool slightly while you get on with the rest of the cake.
- Cream the butter with the sugar. (I usually soften the butter for about 30 seconds in the microwave first as it makes it much easier!)
- Gradually add the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture. If it looks as if it is going to curdle, add some of the self-raising flour.
- Once the eggs have been incorporated add the rest of the self-raising flour.
- Finally, add the milk or cream and coffee mixture and stir to combine.
- Spoon the cake mixture into your prepared loaf tin.
- Put the tin in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven.
- Leave the cake in the tin on a cooling rack to cool completely before removing.
- While the cake is cooking, make the icing by mixing creaming together the butter and icing sugar. Mix the 2 teaspoons of instant coffee with 2 teaspoons of hot water and then add to the icing mixture. Stir to combine. When the cake is cool, spread the icing over the top.
- While the cake is cooking, make the salted caramel by melting the butter in a small pan and then adding the muscavado sugar. Heat gently until the sugar is dissolved. Add the double cream and continue to heat for another two or three minutes. Remove from the heat and add salt to taste. Allow to cool slightly before drizzling over the icing.
Keywords: latte, cake, coffee, caramel, salted caramel