- 350 g (12 oz) fresh rhubarb stems
- 100 g (4 oz) caster sugar
- Set your oven to 180 degrees C/350 F/gas mark 4.
- Wash your rhubarb stems and cut into lengths of around 2 cm.
- Put the rhubarb pieces and the sugar on a baking tray. Stir the pieces around so that the sugar is evenly distributed.
- Put the baking tray in the oven and cook the rhubarb uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven. The rhubarb pieces should be very soft and will have exuded a lot of juice.
- Allow the rhubarb to cool on the tray. When it is cool, put it into a bowl and stir gently. The pieces should break down and you will be left with a thick puree. Taste the puree and add some more sugar if you think it needs it. What you are looking for is a good balance of sweet/sour.
- Remove the mixture from the saucepan and pour into sterilised jam jars – it will fill two medium-sized jars. It must be kept in the fridge once cooled and will last for two weeks.
You can sterilise your jam-jars by washing them in warm, soapy water, rinsing well and then drying off for 15 minutes in an oven set at 140C/120C fan/gas 1.
You should have around 400 ml of compote using the quantities in this recipe.
Keywords: rhubarb, compote, sauce