This fresh-tasting Asian-style Cucumber Salad can be made in five minutes. The cool crunchy cucumber is enhanced by chilli heat and the sweet-salty dressing.
I like to eat this kind of salad in January, after the culinary excesses of Christmas and New Year, when its freshness and strong, zesty flavours are especially welcome – as is the fact that it can be thrown together in five minutes! However, it is just as good on a hot summer day.
- 1 cucumber
- Half a fresh red chilli, finely chopped (or 1 teaspoon of dried chilli flakes)
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons of Thai fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Juice of half a lime
- Peel the cucumber to remove the dark green outer skin. Chop into the cucumber into chunks. I find the easiest way to do this is to cut the cucumber in half lengthways and then slice each half into 1 cm chunks.
- In a glass or ceramic bowl combine the finely chopped red chilli (or dried chilli flakes), crushed garlic clove, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar and lime juice. Do not use a metal bowl as this may react with the ingredients.
- Add the cucumber chunks to the ingredients in the bowl and mix well.
This salad can be eaten immediately. However, I think the flavours improve if it is left in the fridge for several hours. It also keeps well in the fridge for several days.
You can make a vegan version of this recipe by replacing the fish sauce with extra soy sauce.
Keywords: cucumber, thai, salad