These biscuits (cookies) are flavoured with fresh thyme and topped with crunchy, toasted pinenuts. They are great eaten on their own or as an accompaniment to ice-cream.
- 150 g (6 oz) plain flour
- 100 g (4 oz) butter
- 50 g (2 oz) caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or half a tablespoon of dried thyme
- 50 g (2 oz) pinenuts
- Set the oven to 170 C/325 F/Gas Mark 3
- Put the flour and butter into a bowl and rub together using your fingers until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Alternatively, process in a food processor.
- Add the sugar and the chopped fresh thyme.
- Squeeze the mixture together with your hands until it forms a soft dough.
- Roll the dough out to approximately 1 cm thickness.
- Cut into circles or other shapes if you wish.
- Place the circles on a baking tray lined with baking parchment or grease-proof paper.
- Press pinenuts into the top of each circle of dough.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden.
Keywords: biscuits, thyme, pinenuts