Thyme Biscuits with Pinenuts
These Thyme Biscuits are very loosely inspired by the Italian pinolate biscuits, which are often lemon flavoured and contain ground pinenuts in addition to a topping of whole ones. When I was putting together a recipe for thyme-flavoured biscuits, I thought that a topping of pinenuts would make them look attractive and go well with the herby flavour. The pinenuts become golden and toasted while the biscuits are cooking in the oven and this makes them crunchy and also enhances their flavour.
Although thyme is mostly used in savoury dishes, it is also a good flavouring with sweeter ones such as these biscuits and also my Thyme ice-cream with honey and mascarpone.
The fresh thyme that you buy in the supermarket will generally be common thyme which does make a good flavouring for these biscuits. However, I used lemon thyme when making these biscuits, as I grow it in my garden and particularly like its lemony-herby flavour. If you have space for a few pots and want to grow your own thyme, there are many different types, a number of which have distinctive citrus notes such as lemon, orange or lime. Herbal Haven has a very large variety of thyme and other herbs which can be bought online.Print
These biscuits are flavoured with fresh thyme and topped with crunchy, toasted pinenuts. They are great as an accompaniment to ice-cream or sorbet.
- 115g butter (softened)
- 125g caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 large egg
- 175g plain flour
- 35g pinenuts
- Set the oven to 170 C/325 F/Gas Mark 3
- Combine all ingredients, except the pinenuts, in your food processor until they form a soft dough. (NB: If you do not have a food processor, cream the butter and sugar together. Add the chopped thyme. Gradually add the egg and then the flour.)
- Roll the dough out to approximately 1 cm thickness.
- Cut into circles or other shapes if you wish.
- Place the circles on a baking tray lined with baking parchment or grease-proof paper.
- Press pinenuts into the top of each circle of dough.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden.
Keywords: biscuits, thyme, pinenuts