Small frying pan, quiche or flan dish (28 cm)Print
The chilli, lime and coriander add zest to the more delicate taste of the seafood in this summer tart. It is great for a light lunch or supper or as part of a cold buffet.
- For the pastry:
275 g plain flour
125 g fat (I use a mix of half butter and half Trex as I think this makes the lightest pastry)
A little water
- For the filling:
5 spring onions
Half a red chilli
1 tbs oil
100 g crab meat
150 g raw prawns
200 ml double cream
Bunch of coriander
Zest of half a lime
- Set oven to 200 degrees C/gas mark 6.Make the pastry. Put the flour in a bowl. Add the fat and combine – either by “rubbing in” by hand or processing – until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper. Add a little cold water (2-3 tbsp) and shape the mixture into a dough.
- Roll out your pastry and use it to line your quiche or flan dish. Bake for 5 minutes in the oven to allow the pastry to “set”. This will stop the filling making it soggy! Remove the pastry case from the oven and allow to cool a little.
- Chop the spring onions and chilli and add to the frying pan with a little oil. Cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Put the spring onion and chilli mixture into the pastry case along with the crab meat and raw prawns.
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl, add the cream, and beat until combined. Chop the coriander and add to the mixture along with the grated lime zest. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg and cream mixture into the pastry case.
- Place your quiche or flan dish in the oven and cook for 25 minutes.
- The tart can be eaten hot, room temperature or cold.
Keywords: crab and prawn tart, chilli, coriander