Celeriac and Apple Soup – A tasty, warming vegan soup for a cold winter’s day
This Celeriac and Apple Soup is an easy vegan soup recipe that makes a fantastic lunch or supper on a cold winter’s day. It is easy to make and features the classic celery and apple flavour combination. Think Waldorf Salad but warm and comforting!
Celeriac is not the most popular of root vegetables. Its gnarly exterior, which seems perfectly designed to trap soil puts a lot of people off as it seems hard to prepare. Actually, you just need a confident attitude and a good vegetable peeler. Remove the outer skin, together with all the lumpy, gnarly bits, and you are left with a creamy globe of deliciousness that can be used in a whole range of ways in addition to Celeriac and Apple Soup. It is traditionally used in the classic French salad, Celeriac Remoulade, where it is thinly sliced and mixed in a mustard-flavoured dressing. It can also be boiled and mashed or roasted as a side-dish.
Here at tastebotanical we have lots of other recipes for tasty, warming winter soups. What about Beetroot and Coconut Soup? Or Butternut Squash with Peanut Butter? There is tasty Fennel Soup, with its subtle aniseed flavour, and classic Leek and Potato Soup. Vegetable soups are very easy to make and are a fantastic way to increase the amount of fresh vegetables that you eat each day. They are packed with fibre, nutrients and, of course, taste!Print
This easy, warming vegan winter soup combines the classic flavours of celeriac and apple.
- 1 celeriac
- 1 onion
- 2 medium-sized potatoes
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 clove of garlic (crushed)
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 1 eating apple
- Optional garnish: 1 eating apple
- Peel the celeriac using a vegetable peeler to remove the rough outer skin. Cut it into 1 cm chunks.
- Peel and slice the onion.
- Heat the oil in your saucepan. Add the celeriac chunks and sliced onions, season them with salt and pepper, and very gently fry them for around 20 minutes until they are soft and sweet. It is really important to add seasoning at this point and to cook gently to bring out the flavour of the vegetables – it will make a huge difference to the taste of your soup.
- Next, peel and chop the potatoes and add them to the saucepan with the celeriac and onions. Cook gently for a few minutes.
- Then, peel the apple, remove the core and chop into rough chunks. Add the chunks to the vegetables together with the crushed clove of garlic.
- Add the stock to your saucepan and simmer the vegetables gently for about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow the soup to cool slightly before blending.
If you wish, you can make a dried apple garnish for the soup. Slice an eating apple thinly vertically (so the slices are “apple shaped”). Place on a non-stick baking tray and bake in a preheated oven at 200 C/Gas Mark 6 for 30 minutes. Remove slices and use to decorate the soup. The apple-shaped slices look good on top of the soup and will also have a concentrated apple flavour which will enhance the taste.
This soup is vegan.
Keywords: soup, vegetarian, vegan, celeriac