Easy Spiced Nuts with Chilli
These easy Spiced Nuts are roasted in the oven with cumin, turmeric, brown sugar, soy sauce and lots of chilli. This recipe is based on one for Spiced Nuts in Sarah Raven’s brilliant Complete Christmas. However, I’ve changed the spices a bit, upped the chilli and substituted some of the other ingredients to make my recipe vegan.
I always need to have some kind of nibble when I have a glass of wine or other alcoholic drink. Sometimes, I go for crisps, sometimes olives or cheese biscuits, but my all-time favourite snack is nuts. This recipe for Spiced Nuts is fantastic because it combines a big hit of chilli, which I love, with the umami of the soy sauce, a hint of sweetness from the sugar and the based note of the spices. You can add extra salt when the nuts have been roasted but, in my view, this is not necessary due to the use of the soy sauce.
If you have only every eaten ready-roasted, salted nuts, I strongly encourage you to try roasting your own. It is so easy to do and means that the nuts are seriously crunchy and delicious. Also, like these Spiced Nuts, you can add the flavourings that you love and control the amount of salt.
I will serve these nuts with drinks. They are a good snack if you are out walking or after exercise. Also, they are pretty awesome if you are doing a sofa-based box-set binge. I also think that they make good edible gifts if you put them in a nice jar. I make a big batch coming up to Christmas for snacking and also to also a great snack to munch on when we are slumped in from of the TV.
Recent posts on tastebotanical
- Cauliflower Soup
- Cinnamon Biscuits
- Onion Soup
- Shallot Tart with Thyme and Anchovy
- Thyme Biscuits with Pinenuts
What you need to know about this recipe
- You can use any kind of nuts for this recipe or a combination of different kinds. I used walnuts, peanuts, cashews, pecans and macadamia nuts in this recipe. However, make sure that you use plain unsalted nuts.
- If chilli is really not your thing, you can leave it out. However, it is quite mild and is good counterpoint to the sweet umami flavour of the nuts.
- It is really important to allow the nuts to cool in an uncovered container. If you cover them while they are still warm, the trapped steam will make them soggy!
- These nuts will keep for up to a month at room temperature in a sealed container.
Other easy snack recipes
I love savoury snacks. Whether I am box-set watching in front of the television or having a party, my evening is not complete without them. I will sometimes open a packet of crisps or a jar of olives. However, if I am thinking ahead, I will try and make some home-made nibbles.
Making your own snacks is often healthier and cheaper than buying ready-made snacks. They are also really delicious. I try and keep them fairly healthy, without compromising on taste. Therefore, I aim to keep them relatively low fat and with low salt levels compared to shop-bought snacks.
All my snack recipes can be made in advance and most of them will store for a few days. If you are a big fan of cheese, like me, you might like my crisp Cheese Biscuits or my Marinated Feta Cheese. My Moroccan-style Dukkah is a seed mix which can be eaten as a snack or sprinkled on hummus or salads. Most of my snack recipes are vegetarian. However, I have a few others such as my quick and easy Smoked Salmon pate recipe.
Loved this recipe? Checkout the Recipe Index.
Recipe for easy Spiced Nuts with ChilliPrint
- 225 g mixed nuts (cashews, almonds, walnuts, peanuts, pecans, macadamia)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Salt (optional)
- Set your oven to 180 C or Gas Mark 4.
- Put all ingredients, except the salt, in a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Then pour the coated nuts onto a baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes until the nuts are starting to brown.
- Remove from the oven and place the nuts in an uncovered bowl to cool. The soy sauce gives the nuts a salty taste. However, if you wish, you can add extra salt at this stage.
- The nuts will keep for several weeks in an air-tight container.
Keywords: nuts, spices, chilli, nibbles